Rainbow Acoustic Monitoring
Acoustic Respiration Rate (RRa™) is a breakthrough measurement that allows clinicians to noninvasively and continuously assess patients’ breathing—facilitating earlier detection of respiratory compromise and patient distress.
How It Works
rainbow Acoustic Monitoring™ noninvasively and continuously measures respiration rate using an innovative adhesive sensor with an integrated acoustic transducer that is easily and comfortably applied to the patient’s neck.
Using acoustic signal processing that leverages Masimo’s patented revolutionary Signal Extraction Technology (SET®), the respiratory signal is separated and processed to display continuous respiration rate.
“Breathing adequately is what matters most. Masimo Acoustic Respiration Rate provides clinicians with the ability to automatically and continuously monitor the breathing status of post-surgical patients in general care or post-anesthesia settings—alerting them to the first sign of an abnormal or compromised breathing pattern that may be indicative of airway obstruction or respiratory distress.”
Michael Ramsay, M.D.
Chief of the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management
Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Respiration rate is a critical vital sign that provides early detection of respiratory compromise and patient distress
- > Continuous monitoring of respiration rate is especially important for post-surgical patients receiving patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) for pain management as the sedation can induce respiratory depression and place patients at considerable risk of serious injury or death.1-4
- > Although the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF) guidelines include oxygenation and ventilation monitoring in all patients receiving opioids,5 current methods for respiration rate monitoring can be limited by reliability or patient tolerance.6
- > Masimo rainbow SET® Pulse CO-Oximeters with rainbow Acoustic Monitoring™ help you meet APSF guidelines for monitoring post-operative patients.
Masimo rainbow® is a noninvasive monitoring platform enabling the assessment of multiple blood constituents and physiologic parameters that previously required invasive or complicated procedures, in addition to providing Masimo SET® Measure-through Motion and Low Perfusion™ pulse oximetry.
- > Total Hemoglobin (SpHb®)
- > Carboxyhemoglobin (SpCO®)
- > Methemoglobin (SpMet®)
- > Oxygen Content (SpOC™)
- > Acoustic Respiration Rate (RRa™)
- > Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
- > Pulse Rate (PR)
- > Perfusion Index (PI)
- > Pleth Variability Index (PVI®)
The upgradeable rainbow® platform lets you choose the rainbow® measurements that are right for you now and be confident that your investment in patient safety won’t become obsolete tomorrow.
Respiration Rate Accuracy of Masimo rainbow SET ®
Acoustic Monitoring and Capnography MonitoringWhitepaper:
Continuous and Noninvasive Respiration Rate with
- 1 Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Sentinel event alert: patient controlled analgesia by proxy; JCAHO. 2004.
- 2 Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Safety issues with patient-controlled analgesia: Part I – How errors occur; ISMP. 2003.
- 3 Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Safety issues with patient-controlled analgesia: Part II – How to prevent errors; ISMP. 2003.
- 4 Bird M. Acute pain management: a new area of liability for anesthesiologists; ASA Newsletter. 2007; 71:8.
- 5 Weinger MB et al. APSF Newsletter. 2011; 26(2):21-40.
- 6 Macknet MR, et al. Accuracy and tolerance of a novel bioacoustic respiratory sensor in pediatric patients; Anesthesiology. 2007; A84.
Masimo rainbow Acoustic Monitoring™ provides similar respiration rate accuracy as capnography respiration rate monitoring 1
|Dataset||Number of Samples||Bias (bpm)||Standard Deviation (bpm)||ARMS (bpm)|
|Capnography Respiration Rate||21,405||0.22||1.62||1.63|
- > Both methods were compared to a control respiration rate obtained by a trained observer counting inspirations and expirations visually and by listening (as done during auscultation).
- > Respiration rate accuracy is validated in the range of 4 to 70 breaths per minute ± 1 bpm.2
- 1 Masimo FDA Submission Data.
- 2 Respiration rate accuracy has been validated for the range of 4 to 70 breaths per minute in bench toptesting. Clinical validation for up to 30 breaths per minute was also performed with the Masimo Acoustic Respiration sensor and instrument. The variation in accuracy specifications equals plus or minus 1 standard deviation which encompasses 68% of the population. Contact Masimo for testing specifications.
Masimo rainbow® Pulse CO-Oximetry™
Masimo rainbow® is a noninvasive monitoring platform enabling the assessment of multiple blood constituents and physiologic parameters that previously required invasive or complicated procedures, in addition to providing Masimo SET® Measure through Motion and Low Perfusion™ pulse oximetry.
Masimo rainbow® Measurements:
- Total Hemoglobin (SpHb®)
- Oxygen Content (SpOC™)
- Carboxyhemoglobin (SpCO®)
- Methemoglobin (SpMet®)
- Plus: Masimo SET measurements of Oxygen Saturation (SpO2), Pulse Rate (PR), Perfusion Index (PI), and Pleth Variability Index (PVI®)
Based on the solid foundation of Masimo SET technology:
- Innovative noninvasive sensor technology uses more than 7 wavelengths of light to acquire blood constituent data based on light absorption
- Advanced signal processing algorithms and unique adaptive filters work together to isolate, identify and quantify various hemoglobin species
- Blood measurement results are then displayed numerically
Oxygenated Hb and reduced Hb absorb different amounts of Red (RD) and Infrared (IR) Light
(Two-wavelength oximeters cannot measure total hemoglobin or dyshemoglobins)
Upgradeable technology platform:
The upgradeable rainbow® platform lets you choose the rainbow measurements that are right for you now and be confident that your investment in patient safety won’t become obsolete tomorrow.